Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Logos Do Not Have to be Obnoxious

Although I generally don't like logos on anything, there are exceptions. Discreet symbols are often decorative. Take, for example, Apple. Besides producing excellent hardware and software, the company is discreet in advertising its presence. Here's the logo on the front of my iMac, for example:



It is a polite reminder that Apple made the thing. Since Apple's products are visually distinctive, in an attractive way, a subtle logo is fine. Imagine a big APPLE in place of the logo. Does anyone think that would be an improvement?

Other computer manufacturers are less pleasant. Here's the bottom of the monitor from a Dell machine, for example:



In silver against black, the logo stands out obtrusively.

That's one more reason why I've been a Mac user since 1985.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I look at my iMac, I see a large black apple logo on a silver aluminum case. Hardly unobtrusive or even matching like the boot screen is.

Randall Bytwerk said...

Good point. I still think Apple is less obnoxious — but not non-obnoxious. Thanks for the comment.